1 a line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about; "the heading seemed to have little to do with the text" [syn: heading, head]
2 horizontal beam used as a finishing piece over a door or window [syn: lintel]
4 a framing member crossing and supporting the ends of joists, studs, or rafters so as to transfer their weight to parallel joists, studs, or rafters
5 a machine that cuts the heads off grain and moves them into a wagon
6 (soccer) the act of hitting the ball with your head
7 a headlong jump (or fall); "he took a header into the shrubbery"
- /ˈhɛdə/ or /ˈhɛdɚ/
- Rhymes: -ɛdə(r)
- The upper portion of
a page (or other) layout.
- If you reduce the header of this document, the body will fit onto a single page.
- Text, or
other visual information, used to mark off a
quantity of text, often titling or summarizing it.
- Your header is too long; "Local Cannibals" will suffice.
- Text, or other visual information, that goes at the top of a
column of information in
- That column should have the header "payment status".
- A font, text style, or
typesetting used for
any of the above.
- Parts of speech belong in a level-three header. Level-two headers are reserved for the name of the language.
- a brick that is
laid sideways at the top of a wall or within the brickwork with the short side showing; compare
- This wall has four header courses.
- a horizontal structural or finish piece over an opening
- a machine that
cuts the heads off of grain etc
- They fed the bale into the header.
- the act of hitting
the ball with the head
- His header for the goal followed a perfect corner kick.
- a headlong fall or jump
- The clown tripped over the other clown took a header.
- the first part of a file or record that describes its
- The header includes an index, an identifier, and a pointer to the next entry.
- (networking) the first part of a packet, often containing its
address and descriptors
- The encapsulation layer adds an eight byte header and a two byte trailer to each packet.''
text used to mark off a quantity of text
horizontal structural or finish piece over an opening
- Swedish: överstycke
machine that cuts the heads off of grain
headlong fall or jump
soccer: act of hitting the ball with the head
Header may refer to:
- Header (information technology), supplemental data at the beginning of a data block
- Header file, a text file used in computer programming (especially in C or C++)
- Page header, in printing or typography the material separated from the main body that appears at the top of a page
- An exhaust manifold in automotive engineering
- A headlong fall, particularly from a penny-farthing bicycle
- The commonplace name for the lintel structural member in building construction.
- Use of the player's head to direct the ball in association football (soccer)
- A competitor in the team roping rodeo event who specializes in roping a steer's head
- A herding dog with a specific method of interacting with its flock
- Header (film), a 2006 film
- the head of a combine harvester
header in Dutch: Header
belly buster, belly flop, belly whopper, cannonball, crash dive, cropper, culbute, dive, drop, fall, flop, forced landing, gainer, jackknife, nose dive, parachute jump, pitch, plunge, pounce, power dive, pratfall, running dive, sky dive, spill, sprawl, stationary dive, stoop, stumble, swan dive, swoop, trip, tumble